22 December 2009

Yin and Yang of the Holidays






Ever since I was a boy I was fascinated with human behavior.  And, in my adult life, I have worked in some fascinating businesses and been a part of some very interesting experiences with regards to my interaction with humanity.    


I have worked in advertising, where client management is king.
I have worked in retail, where customer satisfaction is the goal.
I have worked in the service industry, where total human fulfillment is absolutely everything.


I guess, what I am saying is that, I have seen many facets of human behavior and have grown to be sure of one thing:  I have no idea why people do whatever it is they do.


Case in point:  The Holidays.
When dealing with the general public during the holiday season, I continue to be amazed at the shear number of people who are unbelievably kind, generous, loving and respectful.  This is balanced only (and completely) by the great masses of people who have obviously chosen to be incredible assholes.


Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.
Merry Christmas.


1 comment:

  1. Ah retail - one of the only jobs where people can treat you like crap and then complain to management if you don't say 'Thank You, come again.'

    ReplyDelete