23 December 2009

Subtle Escapism

All good stories are filled with pain and pleasure.  Bitter and sweet.  Suffering and contentment.  Philosophically, you can't have one without the other.

The thing about fantasy, or idealism, is that people are drawn to it because there is something inherently missing or dysfunctional in their lives.  Why read, or watch TV, or go to movies if all is well with the world or with our lives?

I have always thought of myself as the type of person that was happy with life.  Good work.  great love.  Passion.  Happiness.  Everything.  As I sit here watching one of the Star Wars movies, on the right side of the bed, I can't help but wonder; why is it that I am drawn to the idealism of fantasy? Wisdom?  Good over evil?  What?  It could be that I want to escape from something in the mundane.  Could be that I want to pursue a different or better existence in a more idealistic environment.  I guess it could be as simple as the fact that Star Wars came out when I was 6 or so and that we are impressionable at that age.  And, I really liked the droids back then.

Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment