27 December 2009

A truly selfish act

It is my opinion, and you may criticize me as you will, that there is no such thing as a truly selfless act.  After all, we are essentially primal beings that are not capable of seeing anything based upon anything beyond how it affects us personally.


I have said it before, and I will say it again.  If you are honest, then you cannot disagree.


Case in point, a friend of mine has a new boy friend.  Great.  Couldn't be happier.  One thing; he doesn't like things.  Wine.  Good food.  Art.  Culture.  You know, good things, at least as far as this friend thinks.  She wants to change him.  Introduce him to new things.  Convince him that these things are good.


Do you really think she is doing this for selfless reasons?  She wants to improve his life simply for his sake?  No.  I guarantee she does these things simply to be able to enjoy these very things with her new bo.  Selfless.


Secondly, a representative government and the benefit of all the people of a country are two things that can't actually exist.  A representative is human.  She has ambitions.  She thinks she is right.  She wants a career.  She wants to be heard. She wants money.  She wants to be re-elected.  Do you really think she listens to everybody she represents?  I can't blame her for any aspect of this life.  I want the same things.


Democracy depends on a level playing field.  One does not exist.  The rich and the powerful have the louder voices.  They have the collective voices that can only be grouped with wealth.  Do you think the representative listens to the poor fish monger in the same way as she listens to the CEO who can add money to the coffers and help fulfill ambition?  Of course not.  It's not wrong.  It's honest and it's real.


I don't care about what kind of disastrous day you are having.  Of course I am sympathetic, but if it doesn't affect me, who cares?  Sorry.  Love ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment